Sheikhupura                                                                                      More cities
 

Language : Urdu & Punjabi
Phone Code : 04931
Shrines : Peer Waris Shah
Best Time to Visit : March

INTRODUCTION
Sheikhupura is located 37 km in the west of Lahore. Area wise Sheikhupura is the largest district of the Pujab Province. There are four Tehsils of Sheikhupura which are ,Nankana Sahib,Ferozwala and Safdar Abad. Sheikhupura has many historical places like Hirn Minar, Jahangir's Tomb, Kamran's Baradari, Tomb of Noor Jahan, Asaf Khan's Tomb,Pir Waris shah and guru Nanak at Nankana Sahib. District has also a huge number of factories which are playing a major role in Pakistanís economy. City has also an international cricket stadium, Jinnah stadium, which not only provides better sports facilities to local citizens but also an important venue for international tournament.
OTHER CITIES AND TOWNS:
Here are some other main cities and towns of district sheikhupura Khanqah Dogran,Farooq Abad,Marh Balouchan,Sangla Hill,Ajnian Wala,Jandiala sher Khan,Shahkot,Mananwala,Muridke,Shahdara,Narangmandi,Syedwala and Sharqpur Sharif.
Hiran Minar Sheikhupura
Sheikhupura, on the outskirts of Lahore, derived its name from a nickname for prince Jahangir. It was one of Jahangir's princely dominions during his father Akbar's reign. Just north of Sheikhupura town lies a hunting complex known as the Hiran Minar.
Hunting grounds were an important part of the physical environment of Mughal emperors, and the Hiran Minar is one of the best known and most beautiful of such sites. Its structures consist of a large, almost-square water tank with an octagonal pavilion in its center, built during the reign of Shah Jahan; a causeway with its own gateway connects the pavilion with the mainland and a 100-foot-high minar, or minaret. At the center of each side of the tank, a brick ramp slopes down to the water, providing access for royal animals and wild game. The minar itself was built by Emperor Jahangir in 1606 to honor the memory of a pet hunting antelope named Mansraj.
Tank complexes such as the Hiran Minar may contain some garden elements, such as the central pavilion and minar here. Unique features of this particular complex are the antelope's grave and the distinctive water collection system. At each corner of the tank (approximately 750 by 895 feet in size), is a small, square building and a subsurface water collection system which supplied the tank; only one of these water systems is extensively exposed today.
Another special feature of Hiran Minar is its location and environment: the top of the minar is perhaps the best place in the province of Punjab to get a feel for the broader landscape and its relationship to a Mughal site. Looking north from the top of the minar, one can see a patch of forest which is similar to the scrub forest vegetation of Mughal times; while to the west are extensively irrigated fields, a product of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, but similar in size and appearance to the well-irrigated fields of the Mughal period.

Kamran's Baradari:
Kamran's baradari stands in the midst of a formal garden built by the Mughal Prince Mirza Kamran (son of Babur, the founder of the Mughal empire) on the west bank of the River Ravi; it was built c.1527 and was the earliest Mughal garden in Lahore. With the shift of the Ravi's course, the garden site today has become an island in the river adjacent to the bridge leading from Lahore to Shahdara. The garden used to be a meeting place of Mughal princes. British travelers such as William Barr and Colonel Wade also described this garden in connection with their stay there. The garden had a number of water features, including an eight-point star-shaped pool. Tragically, heavy-handed restoration work in later years entirely destroyed the garden's status as a historical site.

Jahangir's Tomb:
Jahangir's tomb was built on the site of Bagh-i Dilkusha, a garden previously laid out by his wife, the empress Nur Jahan. The tomb was constructed on orders from Shah Jahan after his father's death in Kashmir in late 1627. It took ten years to complete the project. The name of the architect is not known, but Chandar Bhan, a historian and writer of the Char Chaman, also served as a supervisor of the site for some time. The walled tomb-garden is entered from the Akbari serai on the west side. The monumental entrance has extensive muqarnas executed in red sandstone. The Akbari serai has gateways on the north and south and a pre-Mughal period mosque on the west. At the center of an approximately 600-gaz-square garden lies the tomb building clad with red sandstone and inlaid with marble. The tomb rests on a high podium and is surmounted with tall minarets on all four corners. Inside, Jahangir's sarcophagus is decorated with a vegetal pietra dura design and the 99 names of God. The dado on the walls inside the corridor is done with tile mosaic in floral designs.
The square garden was divided into four parts (the chahar bagh pattern) with water channels. There were fountains set in pools, and water flowing over the chutes provided a dazzling effect. Water for the tomb-garden was lifted from eight wells located immediately outside the enclosure wall. The water was lifted by means of Persian wheels to aqueducts running on top of the wall, and then into terra cotta pipes feeding various fountains and tanks. The original plantation is now gone but there are fine fruit trees from colonial times. Today, it is a favorite picnic spot for the city of Lahore.
Asaf Khan's Tomb:
Asaf Khan was Jahangir's brother-in-law and governor of the Punjab at the time of the emperor's death in 1627. When Asaf Khan died in 1641, he held the post of Commander-in-Chief under Shah Jahan, who ordered the construction of the tomb immediately to the west of the forecourt of Jahangir's tomb. The extent of Asaf Khan's square garden was set by the forecourt's 300-gaz-long western wall. It is exactly one-quarter of the size of Jahangir's tomb. The octagonal tomb rests in a chahar bagh with water channels and walkways. The walls were once covered with glazed tiles and there was marble facing on the dome. The dome has an unusual profile of the sort which was used in the tomb of Hamza Ghaus in Sialkot.

Tomb of N00r Jahan:
Jahangir's widow, Nur Jahan, died in 1645. She was buried to the west of her brother Asaf Khan in a tomb she is said to have commissioned during her life-time. The tomb structure has since been stripped of its stone cladding, and whatever has survived of the garden was irreparably damaged when the British cut a railway line late in the 19th century between the tombs of the two siblings.
Although no major Mughal garden was constructed at Shahdara after the completion of Nur Jahan's tomb, these lovely gardens still continue to play an important role in the life of Lahore.
Crossing the River from Shahdara to Lahore Fort:
There were two main river crossings from Shahdara to Lahore. The one near Kamran's baradari followed the modern route to the Taksali and Roshnai gates of the Fort. The road from Shahdara town continued due south toward the Khizri and Masti gates of the city. It has long been supposed that a crossing existed at the Khizri gate, Khwaja Khizr being the guide for river crossings. But the symbolic connection between Khizr, the guide to the waters of immortality, and the decision to locate tomb-gardens just opposite that gate has not previously been recognized.